Tuesday

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

I picked this up on a whim and can say that there are not enough words to describe how wonderful this book really is. This is by far the best book I’ve read all year (I know we’re only in January - but it is one of the best books I’ve read in a really long time).

Set in England and the Channel island of Guernsey immediately following World War II, we meet Juliet Ashton (our protagonist and writer) who suddenly receives a letter from Dawsey Adams (Guernsey dweller) requesting some information on author, Charles Lamb. Thus begins a correspondence that leads her to discover the members of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and her next writing project/book. Through her letters with her new Guernsey acquaintances we get a feel for the German occupation of the Channel Islands during the five years of war.

The book is written in epistolary format which brought both levity and personalization to the German occupation of Guernsey. Considering the correspondence format, I was surprised at the character development. I fell in love with Dawsey, Isola, Sidney, Elizabeth, Kit - they were the true heart to this story and I also liked that it brought some humanity to the German soldiers as well.

I remarked to my husband that this book would make a marvelous film and after a quick Google search I was pleased to find out that the film rights have already been bought. I also sadly learned that author Mary Ann Shaffer passed away last February. Her illness caused her niece Annie Barrows to finish the book. I am in awe that this was Mary Anne’s first book.

This was a treat and a hands down MUST READ!

7 comments:

Dar said...

I'm glad you liked this novel so much Nely. I still haven't read it but I think I'll pick it up from the library for the WWII challenge this year. Thanks for a great review.

Beth F said...

Now go back and listen to this UNabridged on audio. It's awesome.

Linda Jacobs said...

Yes! I also loved this book! I can't wait for the movie!

Michele at Reader's Respite said...

Wasn't this just the BEST book? I loved, loved it and it always makes me smile when I read someone else has discovered it!

J. Kaye said...

Beth F. sort of answered my wondering question of if this would be good on audio. ;)

That has been my thoughts when I read about this book.

Sunnysmileqt said...

So glad to hear you loved this book. It was probably one of my favorites of 2008 - I couldn't put it down once I started. I'm thrilled to hear it will be becoming a movie!

Sandra said...

I reviewed this book last summer and liked it very much too. I didn't know about the film rights being sold. This is a movie I would watch.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit