Tuesday

Jantsen's Gift by Pam Cope and Aimee Molloy

What an amazing memoir!

When Pam Cope loses her 15 year-old son, Jansten, due to an unknown heart condition, she falls into a very severe depression. Upon invitation from a friend, Pam and her husband Randy, travel to Vietnam to visit an orphanage that this friend has built, and to find a way of coping with her loss/grief. There they fall in love with a Vietnamese child and decide to adopt him. Eventually they adopt another Vietnamese girl - but not before they fall in love with these children and realize that they can use the money that was donated in Jantsen’s name after his death for such a worthy cause.

This memoir chronicles Pam and Randy’s journey to providing children with food, shelter, education and medical care in Vietnam and Cambodia. And eventually to their work in Ghana where children are sold into slavery or prostitution by their families at a very young age. It details the struggles they go through to obtain these children from their "masters" and their work in building the The Village of Hope Orphanage.

I cried (a lot)... I laughed... I was truly moved and inspired. This is the type of book that makes you rethink your life. It is heart-wrenching to read some snippets of the letters that Pam writes to Jantsen and this book is a touching tribute to him.

To find out more about their foundation - Touch a Life, or to make a donation (I already did), please visit their website at http://www.touchalifekids.org/. You can also visit their blog at: http://touchalifekids.blogspot.com/.

NOTE: You are in still in time for the giveaway of 5 copies of Jantsen's Gift that I was graciously provided by Anna at The Hachette Book Group. If you would like to sign-up for the giveaway, please click here. The 5 winners will be chosen 4/24/09.

2 comments:

Beth F said...

What a moving book. I'd love to have a copy. Sounds like it has an important message about helping others.

Darlene said...

'I cried (a lot)... I laughed... I was truly moved and inspired.'

That did it for me which is good because I have this book to read. I love when books make me feel like that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit