Friday

Prom Nights from Hell by Meg Cabot, Stephanie Meyer, Kim Harrison, Michele Jaffe, Lauren Myracle

Prom Nights from Hell is an anthology of short stories by five well-known young adult authors all giving prom a supernatural and/or paranormal twist. Each story was captivating in its own right, giving you a glimpse of interesting characters and plot lines that I mostly wished wouldn't end.

The Exterminator's Daughter by Meg Cabot
In The Exterminator's Daughter, you meet Mary (who reminded me a lot of Buffy). In this story her BFF is dating none other than the son of ... Dracula. Luckily for her, Mary is a novice vampire slayer. With the help of Adam, a boy from school, she will do what she must to save her friend and revenge her mother. The chapters alternate between Mary and Adam's point of view. Very cute story and I absolutely loved the dialogue between the characters.

The Corsage by Lauren Myracle
By far, the creepiest of the bunch and inspired by The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs. Frankie is given a corsage that grants three wishes. And, of course, her first wish is that the boy she loves asks her to prom. Talk about wishes going bad. Gave me the heebie jeebies.

Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper by Kim Harrison
This is a short story about how Madison Avery (Once Dead, Twice Shy) dies. It's a story of light reapers and dark reapers and how she comes to be stuck amongst them. I think I liked it the least only because just when it started getting good it ended. I would say it's a sneak peak of what's to come in Once Dead, Twice Shy. The ending was too abrupt for my taste and left me flipping the pages back and forth because I felt as if I had missed something.

Kiss and Tell by Michele Jaffe
This was my favorite story in the book. It was the longest one too. Maybe that's why. This is the story of Miranda Kiss who is basically a superhero. She's got super powers but has no idea what they are half the time or what limits she has. She's got all these self-help books... the titles are hilarious. The girl was a hoot. I think this was the funnest, had the wittiest characters and a sweet romance to top it off.

Hell on Earth by Stephenie Meyer
Sheba is a low level demon causing quite the stir at her high school prom. The more misery and devastation she can cause the better. Happy couples are bickering, girls are suffering bouts of jealousy, boys are lusting over girls who aren't their dates, and there's even a student with the promise of using a weapon. Prom is quite the success for Sheba ... that is until she meets the eyes of Gabe Christiansen.

As with all short stories, you only get a glimpse into these characters lives and, as always, they rather end too quickly. All in all, this is a great little book to be enjoyed by both teens and adults alike.

6 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

This sounds like something I should read. Great review! Happy Friday!

Veens said...

Oh well, I didnot know about this anthology. Sounds something like right up my alley!

elaing8 said...

Great reviews.I liked this anthology.I though the best one was Kim Harrison's.its also the prequel to her YA series.The least favorite as Stephenie Myers.

Unknown said...

This looks like a good book Nelly. Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer said...

This sounds like such a fun read! And I just read the Monkey's Paw so the story that is loosely based on it really intrigues me. Great review - I'll keep my eyes out for this one the next time I hit the book store and hopefully I'll be able to pick it up.

Unknown said...

Each story told in this book kept me entertained and scared to death at times! But at the same time there were love stories into as well.
Top rated Zespri Green Kiwi fruit information

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit