Friday

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

I should start by saying that I picked this book up reluctantly... it just didn’t seem like something I would like, and well needless to say, I loved it. It is an epic piece of writing, veering from the voice to voice (Orleanna and her four daughters) as it gradually unfolds from tragedy into something else altogether as time passes. I love the way the author strings together simple words to make beautiful sentences. Also, each sister has a completely different style of thinking and viewpoint. I loved when she wrote as the youngest daughter, Ruth May, since she would say words that didn’t make sense and you would realize it was what a young girl would overhear and make out from her parents/family’s conversations. The father/husband is a Baptist church minister, and goes to the Congo taking his family with him intending to convert all who live in a small rural village to Christianity. The story is told from the women's perspective, but he directs and leads their lives in nearly every way. This story is about their growth. Definately worth checking out

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit