Monday

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Title: Never Let Me Go
Author: Kazuo Ishiguro
Pages: 304
Genre: Science Fiction
Source: Purchased

I almost don't want to say anything about this book because I don't want to give anything away. Not to mention, I commenced reading this not knowing a thing about it, so the way the author unfolds the story... by slow increments making you more and more knowledgeable about what is going on, was extraordinary and part of the reason why I enjoyed this book so much.

Ishiguro crafts a picturesque boarding school world populated by seemingly normal students, with all the pettiness, mean-spiritedness and misunderstandings of everyday teens. However, it is clear from the start that something is subtly different about these children and the way they are being brought up.

The narrator of Never Let Me Go is Kathy H, a young "carer" in England. Throughout the novel she reminisces about her childhood, coming of age and friendships with Ruth and Tommy in an open, conversational style. She's a wonderfully developed character who holds your interest and sympathy throughout the book. 

I won’t say much else, so that when and, if you do decide to read this, everything can be as new and shocking to you as it was to me -a real page-turner.

This story was deeply sad, moving, and absorbing. It is one that will stay with you.

My Rating:
Photobucket

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I too knew absoluetly nothing about the story, I just knew it was Ishiguro and I liked the others I read by him. It certainly added to the effect on me slowly figuring it out. Now the details are in every review I see, which is a pity I think .

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading this one and I can't stop thinking about it. I'm going to recommend it to a bunch of people I know who love to read just so I can have someone to talk about it with haha. There is just so much to be said with this one.

And it's a shame that so much of the plot is revealed on the internet with Never Let Me Go. I like that you kept your review spoilers free. It really makes a huge difference if you go into reading this one without any prior knowledge.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit