Wednesday

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Wings is the debut novel of Aprilynne Pike. In it we are introduced to Laurel - a not-so-human girl who discovers that she is a fairy who has been sent by the fae to live among humans to guard one of the gateways to Avalon. Little does Laurel know that there are other dangerous beings also trying to find this magical gateway which places her and her human family in real danger. Luckily for her she is not alone as she discovers more and more about who and what she is. David - the cute boy from school, who just happens to be a whiz in biology, helps her understand some of the scientific changes her body is going through. And then there’s the mysterious Tamani.... although she’s not very trusting of him at first, he is the one that helps her understand that she is not human but a fairy... like him.

This was super neat! Ms. Pike explores the realm of faeries and immerses us in a world that is very unique. Although I can’t really say I have read any Fae books, the legends I’ve come to know (and I blame this on Disney) are nothing like the world Ms. Pike creates in Wings. I must say that her take on fairy life is refreshing, if not AWESOME.

Although this follows the traditional set up most fantasy/love triangle/young adult fiction titles we've seen in the past few years, this story, involving the mystical world of the Fae, Camelot, and the doors to Avalon, had me hooked from page one.

I fell in love with the characters and I am already torn between who Laurel will choose - David or Tamani. Apparently this will be a 4-part series, and I am already anxious for the next installment!

To learn more about author, Aprilynne Pike, you can visit her blog here.

7 comments:

Lusty Reader said...

I have seen this gorgeous cover everywhere! Great review, I also don't typically read books about Fae alternate worlds either, but you made it sound intriguing.

Vanessa Book ♥ Soulmates said...

Awww sounds like a super cute read my friend :)

*Vane*

Kristen said...

Great review, I've got that one on my bookshelf from the library. I need to get around to reading it.

Linda Nguyen said...

I've had my eye on this one but I wasn't sure if I should pick it up. Thank you for your review. =)

The Reading Momster said...

wow sounds so good :)

Jess said...

Hi Nely,
I am hearing some wonderful things from bloggers about this book -- thanks for the great review.

Kailana said...

I am looking forward to reading this! Thanks for the review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit