Monday

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

Fairest of All is the Wicked Queen’s story... what drove her to become soooo wicked.

Firstly I want to say that the moment I saw this cover - I absolutely had to buy it. It really is spectacular. Secondly, the fact that it is a prequel to Snow White - obviously “had me at Hello”.

Ms. Valentino did a wonderful job blending what we already know of Snow White and the Wicked Queen with this new tale. In it we learn of how the Wicked Queen became the bitter and well, evil witch we’ve known for years. We are taken back to the days where she lived with her father, an artist in crafting mirrors. We also read of her marriage, her dreams, hopes and eventually her downfall. Although I did find her a wee bit whiny at times, I thought she was a very interesting character with lots of emotional turmoil. I really sympathized with her as her life was definitely not an easy one.

This is definitely a YA title - but I would recommend it more for older teens vs. the younger tweens. The content is a bit dark at times. Reading this was like getting inside information on one of my favorite Disney villains. And I really enjoyed the fact that it had a couple of twists thrown in that I didn't see coming. I recommend this to anyone who'd like a new twist to this classic fairytale.

10 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

1. FAB FAB FAB review.
2. I can't wait to read this.
3. Thank you :)

Vanessa Book ♥ Soulmates said...

Great review my friend!

Jessica said...

Excellent review! I recently read--and enjoyed--Beastly by Alex Flinn and now I'm compelled to read other new takes on classic fairy tales. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Eleni said...

Nice review, I love when they put new twists on fairy tales and I think the cover is cool.

-Eleni

Cecelia said...

OMG!!!!

Favorite genre, favorite book cover in like, EVER, and I very much want to read about the twisted, evil queen. You just made this a MUST READ. Great review!

Unknown said...

You're right the cover is amazing!

Luigi | Brochure Printing said...

The title and the cover of the book is interesting enough, but knowing that the story is about the wicked queen, it's more interesting. Who wouldn't want the to know the reason why is the Queen so wicked and bitter?! This is really a must-read. Thank you for sharing this.

Bunny B said...

Def my fave genre! And the cover is gorgeous! Love your review too! Can't wait to read this!!! :)

DesLily said...

before i read a word of your review i saw the cover and thought "gads that looks like the wicked witch from snow white!" lol.. great cover! It says it all doesn't it?! glad you enjoyed the read!!

Rissa (Pretentious Reader) said...

I saw this at the bookhop, awesome cover.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit