Tuesday

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

Sixteen-year-old Amalia Milthorpe and her twin sister Alice have just become orphans, and, as Lia discovers, they have also become enemies. The twins are part of an ancient prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other. To escape from a dark fate and to remain in the arms of her beloved boyfriend James, Lia must end the prophecy before her sister does. Only then will she understand the mysterious circumstances of her parents' deaths, the true meaning of the strange mark branded on her wrist, and the lengths to which her sister will go to defeat her.

Talk about sibling rivalry - and although these sisters are on opposing sides of the prophecy, I loved how neither is wholly good nor bad. I love that Ms. Zink’s story has such strong female characters. They embody the best and worst in us all. Lia is on a journey of discovery, love, loss, and what it means to grow up. I love the way that the “twin” thing is played out - neither girl knows what the other is thinking, they only think they know. But I know, right? Or do I? Accckkk.

I loved the Victorian backdrop - with the obligatory rainy nights, howling winds, the swishing of heavy dresses, the rushing waters and high cliff tops, but it's done so perfectly that every little detail contributes to, but doesn't override, each scene.

The story is riddled with symbolism both subtle and dark. Every time I thought I had finally unlocked the mystery, I was taken on a new unexpected turn that left me in awe. The story started a bit slow for me but that was okay because it slowly built up to this fantastically riveting story - and the best part of it all is that it’s the first of a trilogy.

This was a fast, enjoyable read. I highly recommend this to both teens and adults alike. I can't wait for the next one!

8 comments:

Beth F said...

This sounds like it has everything. I wonder if it would make a good book club book -- with the symbolism and surprises at the end. Plus lots of people like to talk about sibling rivalry.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Wonderful review :)

Nina said...

Thank you for your review. Heard great things about the book. The cover looks so spooky :)

Alison (Alison's Book Marks) said...

Great review -- I may have to add this one to my already-too-long Fall Into Reading list.

I actually think this would be a good cover for Her Fearful Symmetry! (I can't get that book out of my head!)

Veens said...

Totally like this one!

Lenore Appelhans said...

I am also excited for the next one :)

Amy said...

This sounds interesting and a good book for October. :-) I think I might add it to the list. Great review!

Unknown said...

Oh..excited to read your review. I've seen the book in the store and keep looking at it because I like the cover..but was never sure I wanted to read it. I think I'll pick up a copy sometime soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit