Wednesday

Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror by Chris Priestley

Young Edgar loves visiting his eccentric, Great-Great Uncle Montague even if it means going though the spooky woods to get there. For Uncle Montague is a very talented storyteller and has a story to tell about all the creepy odds and ends he has lying around his study.

I loved the goosebumpy feeling I had the whole time I read this book. The fact that each tale’s main character was a child made it even more spooky for me. I loved the gothicy feel each tale had and although the stories were short they were definitely potent and got their message across. As always, my main complaint with short stories... that they are just too short and right when I'm finally getting into the story they end.

Needless to say, I thought Mr. Priestley delivered with this group of stories. The underlying story of Uncle Montague and Edgar was, I think, the creepiest by far... but I won't give anything away. I loved the wordplay used, I think Mr. Priestley has a talent for using simple words and descriptions that definitely enhance his stories and make them far more sinister. Although I felt some of the stories ended quite abruptly, in retrospect, I think, this was what made me think of them well after I was done reading them.

I recommend that younger readers take the warning on the back cover seriously, as this isn't a book to be read alone or late at night... especially those who are faint of heart. If they are brave enough, then I definitely recommend a quick glance in the closet and definitely take a peek under the bed.

As the not-so-young adult I am, I found these to be deliciously creepy, spine-tingling and definitely worth the read.

7 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

O spine tingling :) great review

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

cute cover; perfect october read!

D Swizzle said...

i love the cover!

mariag said...

The cover would make me stop and pick it up. Sounds like a good read for October nights.

Bookie00 said...

this place is really cool =D

Kailana said...

I really want to read this book! I might have to buy it because the library doesn't have anything by him.

Veens said...

Nice. I have read great reviews of this one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit