Thursday

According to Jane by Marilyn Brant

Ellie Barnett is just 15 years old the first time she hears her. Jane Austen and her first 'tsk' of displeasure. That ‘tsk’ is aimed at bad boy Sam Blaine who is sitting by Ellie, endlessly teasing her as he’s done since they were children. From that moment on, Jane’s ghost becomes Ellie's secret companion. She takes up residence in Ellie’s mind giving her useful (yet sometimes unheeded) advise through Ellie’s adolescence and adulthood. She quickly becomes the voice that Ellie trusts with her relationships and her many ups and downs in life. Men come and go in Ellie’s life - and through it all Jane is there with her sharp wit and her quick tonque - labeling the beau's as "Wickhams" and "Darcys" and "Bingleys". But when the time comes will Ellie follow her heart or listen to her head.

For some reason I went into reading this thinking it was a YA novel. If it is, it surely didn't feel like it. I mean Ellie is only 15 for a brief period of time at the beginning of the novel and for a couple of flashbacks. She ages throughout the novel well in into her thirties and has several relationships along the way - with some "blushing" romantic scenes.

The story is mostly told in the first-person and I thought that it jumped from the past to the present smoothly. Ellie's life as well as some of the secondary characters were very endearing. There were many instances that were funny, sweet and some which were equally heart-breaking. In the end, I enjoyed the storyline although it did have some moments that I felt were slow, but there weren't too many of those and nothing that should deter you from reading it. All in all, I would say that this is a fun, quick read that lovers of chick-lit/romance, Jane Austen, and older teens will most definitely enjoy.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

I think I would enjoy this, it sounds like my kind of book. Great review :)

Kristen said...

I really need to read this. I actually worked with Marilyn for 3 years at a public library and she's wonderful! I'm glad to see her book out here in the blog-o-sphere.

Cecelia said...

I feel so guilty! I've had this one sitting on my shelf for months...and in both ARC and finished form. Eeek! Need to read it soon. Maybe this weekend? Awesome. Glad you liked it - I hope I will, too!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Great review. I have this one waiting for me too.

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

Great review

Cindy said...

you have an award here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit