Thursday

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

So I picked up Bridget Jones's Diary because I just simply wanted to read and laugh a little and enjoy a lot and I was not disappointed. I have seen the movies and I definitely enjoyed them - but I've always wanted to get a deeper feeling for Bridget and thus the book has been one that I've wanted to read for quite some time now.

Bridget Jones's Diary is just that - her diary entries which span a year in time. Every entry not only has what's going on in her life but also counts her calories, cigarette intake, and how much booze she drinks. Now let me tell you that just those little numbers were a crack-up. You could definitely tell what kind of a day she was having by how many cigarettes or how many drinks she had.

There were so many things that I truly enjoyed about this book:
Characters that I could relate to; weighing oneself every single day, being infatuated with a guy who's no good for you, knowing it, and still obsessing over him to the point where you get no work done; good friends who love and protect you and will do anything for you (including lie to you) if the need arises; parents who try to hook you up with anyone of the opposite sex because they are terrified that you are spiraling headfirst into spinsterhood.

Bridget Jones's Diary is all that it was said to be and more. It is funny and original with a likable, funny, yet slightly neurotic heroine... just the way I like them.

I'll end it at this, it was V. good. :)

7 comments:

La Coccinelle said...

This book is hilarious. I remember when I read it, how her mother cracked me up. All of her crazy antics didn't make it into the movie, which is a shame, but I guess they wanted to focus more on Bridget herself.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I have this one at home. I can't wait to re-read it. (I read it 10+ years ago and remember loving it) Thanks for the review.

Scorpio M. said...

I remember laughing my way through this highly enjoyable book. I also loved that it was a British girl, so I got to see how the London scene was. The sequel was pretty awesome, too.

Jennifer @ Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

I read this one in high school and I loved it!

Ann Elle Altman said...

I started reading it but never got through it...need to try again.

ann

Darlyn said...

i love the book!and also the sequel, the edge of reason..few years back i have this weight problem and reading/watching bridget jones that time really moved me..

Anonymous said...

I loved the movies. And I have been meaning to read the book since I saw the movies. I really need to get on that. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit