Tuesday

Intertwined by Gena Showalter

Although Aden might seem crazy to some - talking to thin air, acting peculiar around cemeteries, etc. - he is far from it. The voices inside Aden Stone's head are real. He has four human souls living inside him - Eve can time-travel, Julian can raise the dead, Elijah can tell the future and Caleb can possess another human. He has spent his life from one institution to the next, being prescribed all sorts of pills and at the mercy of his doctors and caretakers.

Now, living on the outskirts of a new town with a couple who has taken him (and other troubled boys like him) in, he plans on a fresh start. But that all changes when he catches a glimpse of a girl who not only quiets the voices in his head, but basically knocks him on his butt at first glance. He knows he must find out who she is and how she can do what no one has done before.

Riddled with all sorts of supernatural beings (i.e. vampires, werewolves, fairies, goblins, demons and witches) you are taken on a journey with Aden and Mary Ann - who not only form an inexplicable bond of friendship but whose limits will be tested by a werewolf shape-shifter who wants Mary Ann and a vampire princess that has been the star of many of Aden's dreams. Together the four face intrigue and danger, doomed romances and the possibility that not all may come out alive.

As a big fan of Gena's adult novels, I was excited to read this first installment of her YA series and, I must say, I was not disappointed. I loved how so many elements of paranormal fantasy were thrown in here and jumbled all together - giving it a fresh and original idea. The chapters are told through either Aden or Mary Ann perspectives. So you get to not only hear what Aden is thinking but you also get to see it through Mary Ann.

The characterization was great. Even the voices in Aden's head were well-developed. It got to the point where I knew which had spoken by just the way they said things. Very engaging and imaginative. As for the romances, I have to admit that although I did enjoy reading about Aden and Victoria, my fave couple was Mary Ann and Riley. I found myself looking forward to their moments together. But overall, I think it was well done.

This was such a fun book and although many of its problems were resolved by its end, there were also many questions left unanswered and, one of those pesky cliffhangers. All in all, a fantastic start to what I can tell will be a very enjoyable series. Book #2 - Unraveled, releases September 2010... I'll be anxiously awaiting it.

4 comments:

Book Soulmates said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it my friend! I liked this book too and I'm eager to read Unraveled! Although it's been so long that I'm going to need a refresher on Intertwined, lol.

♥Isalys

Mystica said...

I've heard lots of good stuff about this book. Thanks for this.

Cindy said...

This sounds really good, I must read this. Awesome review :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

For some reason, I like inner voices in literature.
Great review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit