Wednesday

Enchanted Ivy by Sarah Beth Durst

Title:  Enchanted Ivy
Author:  April Lindner
Pages: 320
Genre: YA / Fantasy

When Lily accompanies her grandfather to his yearly reunion at Princeton the most she thought  she'd see were the school grounds - maybe even take a tour of the school she hopes to one day attend.  Little did she know that she would instead be participating in a top-secret Legacy Test that if she succeeds in will grant her an early scholarship to Princeton.  She finds herself trying to unravel secrets that will help her on her quest to find the Ivy Key - with the help of a mysterious boy with hair that reminds her of a tiger and his instructions that the gargoyles know more than she thinks.... she'll discover a world or rather two worlds - her ordinary Princeton and a parallel Princeton that is full of all sorts of fantastical creatures.

I loved the premise of this story.  Imagine getting the chance to visit your dream university only to find out that it's so much more than you thought it would be.  I loved the descriptions of the university, the grounds... I especially loved the descriptions of the library, le sigh.  Ms. Durst expertly creates a magical world filled with all sorts of magical creatures (my favorites being the talking gargoyles).  I loved the mystery of the Ivy Key and Lily's quest to find it.  While she's on her quest to find the key we are taken all around campus.  We also meet Tye (the boy with the black and orange hair) who helps her along the way.  

I really liked Lily -she was brave and smart, funny and witty.  I especially enjoyed her friendship with Tye and how it eventually sparks a romance.  I thought it was very nicely done, well-paced and credible (well of course, if you don't count flying on a dragon as a first date.)  Ms. Durst's writing is pleasant and just brings such a light feeling to her story.  I love books that although they are full of danger and mystery - still have you feeling happy.  This is that type of book. 

All in all, I think Enchanted Ivy is a wonderful fantasy that you will find yourself completed captivated with after a few pages.  There was magic and adventure, mystery and danger... and of course, there was  romance.  I really enjoyed it and for fans of young adult fantasy - this is one you won't want to miss out on. 

My Rating:

9 comments:

Jessica said...

A parallel Princeton? I'm intrigued. :) Great review!

LinWash said...

This is definitely a great fantasy book. I enjoyed it immensely as well. I'm only sorry that it won't be a series.

Nely said...

@LinWash It won't be a series? I didn't know that. I honestly thought it would keep going. Oh boo!

Anonymous said...

I loved this book! But after reading what LinWash said, it makes me disappointed that Enchanted Ivy won't have a sequel :(

Great review, Nely!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sounds SUPER cool! I'm totally intrigued too!

Candace said...

I was wondering if this one was any good. I seem to miss all the reviews of it. But now I want to read it!

New follower (how did I not know about your blog?!) visiting from Book Soulmates- so it's gained you at least one follower hosting a letter!

Lola said...

Looks AWESOME!!! This is on my tbr list!

-Lily from Lily's Bookshelf

Books for Company said...

Covers just seem to be getting better and better!
Thanks for this review

Lola said...

I absolutely cannot wait to read this one! Fantastic review! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit