Tuesday

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

Title: Awaken
Author: Katie Kacvinsky
Pages:  352
Genre: YA/ Dystopian
Source: NetGalley

The world you'll find in the pages of Awaken is not as far fetched as you'd think.  Which, quite frankly, makes it a very scary world.  Imagine not having the need to leave your home.  You go to school online.  Talk to your friends online.  Watch favorite tv shows, the news, or even read books online.  You can even go on a virtual date online.  Why bother leaving your home - when you are doing all this in the safety and comfort of your home.  It doesn't matter what you're wearing or how you look.  You are an avatar.  You can do anything you want to do and be anyone you want to be.  It's the perfect world... or is it?

Maddie has been content living her life in the digital world.  After the incident a few years ago (when she was going through that rebellious phase that threatened to tear her family apart) she has been more than happy to lay low and live the way her father wants her to.  But then she meets Justin Solvi.  Justin who questions everything she believes in.  Who convinces her that living behind a computer is not living at all. 

I loved this book!  I especially loved that it seemed a very realistic fate for humankind.  My favorite type of dystopia, I might add.  The year is 2060, not so very far down the line, and I can definitely see a world where computers are at its forefront.  I mean 15 years ago who would have thought we would be where we are now when it comes to electronics and the world wide web.  Just think how much time we normally spend in front of our computers.  My job has me sitting in front of a computer 7 hours - plus at least 1 to 2 hours at home on week nights... and then there are the countless hours on our phones, iPads, etc.  I don't know about you, but I'm definitely hooked.  This book really gets you thinking.

Obviously, I am a fan of the world building.  Putting that aside, I also really enjoyed the characters.  The interactions between Maddie and Justin were enjoyable.   I loved how their relationship develops slowly throughout the story.  Even though I had a few moments where I didn't trust Justin (his interest in Maddie seemed too much about "the better good", as well as he had this terrorist vibe to him), but little by little he grew on me and I ended up really liking him.  I also really liked the push and pull between those who believed in being "digitalized" and those who wanted more human interaction.  As the reader, you are conflicted because both sides have some very interesting points.  It's not all good vs. evil or black vs. white.  I really found it thought provoking and it surely had me thinking about it long after I was done with it.
 
I'm not sure if this is a stand alone... I guess it can be, but I feel that we need more closure.  I truly hope that there is more to come.  Either way, Ms. Kacvinsky is definitely an author you'll want to keep an eye out for. All in all, I found Awaken to be a very powerful story, with three dimensional characters, action, suspense and romance.  A very worthy read and one that I highly recommend.


My Rating:

6 comments:

Cindy said...

this sounds really good! awesome review :)

jenna said...

I am always looking forward to your reviews! You have one of my favorite blogs.
I'm really interested in the concept of Awaken - I think it could hit close to home with a lot of people regarding technology. Thanks for the review!

-Jenna

Gina @ My Precious said...

I'm looking forward to reading this one for the DAC. Its such an eerie premise because I totally see it being believable.

I enjoyed reading your review and now can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Tales of Whimsy said...

O wow. That premise sounds powerful and like Gina said, really possible.

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

I LOVE the sounds of this one -- and the cover is so sweet and emblematic! Hope you're feeling better, Nely! xo

Anonymous said...

I can really see it happening. Since I lost my job, I have been falling into sort of the same pattern.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit