Wednesday

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Title: Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand
Pages:  448
Genre: YA/ Paranormal
Source: NetGalley

Clara Gardner found out a few years ago that she's part Angel.  When she begins to have the same visions / dreams over and over, her mother (also of the angelic nature) explains that her "purpose" is becoming known to her.  Every time Clara's visions occur they become more and more involved until they are finally able to pinpoint the location of where it's going to occur.  She and her family pack up their bags and move away from sunny California to a small town surrounded by mountains. 

There she meets the boy in/of her dreams... Christian.  He's exactly how she thought he would be.  Handsome, friendly, popular - but he also has a girlfriend.  She knows he's her destiny and is determined to make him see that they belong together.  But while figuring out her angelblood abilities, making new friends and getting Christian to notice her - she ends up falling for another boy - placing herself and her purpose in jeopardy.

Oh but I loved this story!  Clara was a great heroine.  As an angel you'd think she'd be more secure of who she is and what she looks like, but instead she suffers the same insecurities any girl her age would.  I loved that she wasn't perfect.  It wasn't all harps and angelic voices when she walked into a room.  She was clumsy at times, her hair was bright orange so she stood out in a crowd, she was whiny and sometimes she was even selfish - yet it balanced out perfectly with all her other endearing qualities.  I loved how this other boy (the non-Christian boy who I refuse to name although I'm sure once you pick up the book you'll figure it out soon enough) comes into her life.  The love/hate relationship they have at first is great.  I loved how it slowly progressed and became a sigh-worthy romance. 

Aside from the romance and the great leading lady, there were some other aspects of the story that I really liked.  For one, I think Ms. Hand does a phenomenal job in getting across how important family is to Clara.  Her mother and younger brother, although they play smaller roles in this first book of the trilogy, will most likely have bigger roles in the upcoming storyline.  I also really enjoyed the friendships Clara forges with some of her classmates.  And then, of course, there was the mystery of it all.  Her Angel-ism (yes, I made that word up) is a big mystery.  I truly loved learning along with Clara.  You feel the joy and adrenaline when she first learns how to fly or the comfort and relaxation of a day spent lazying away on a river. 

All in all, I loved Unearthly.  I must admit Angels are not my forte, but this angel book is definitely one I cannot recommend enough.  It was a lovely story - one that although ends with some questions answered, leaves you with many new questions.  I cannot wait to see what happens next! 

My Rating:

15 comments:

Kelsey said...

I've heard so much good about this book, I'll have to check it out.

Great review!

Kelsey
kelseysutton.blogspot.com

Trisha said...

Great review! I wasn't sure whether to check this out or not as there are so many angel books out there right now. This one sounds like it's worth picking up though! Thanks!

Katie said...

I love this book too! The romance was quite great! I still need to go out and buy my own copy of this!

Great Review!

Unknown said...

I spotted this book and wasn't sure, but it sounds like a fun read. I'm glad you liked it!

Gina @ My Precious said...

I'm in the middle of reading this one right now. Its really good! I've only seen one negative review. I enjoyed reading your take. This book is reminding me slightly of a Harry Potter type book directed a little more towards girls.

My biggest question: Why do you think the mom doesn't want to tell Clara everything she knows about angels? Its stressed throughout the book, Clara must discover things on her own? I just wonder why? Seems like the significant will be revealed at some point. Well, at least I hope?

Tales of Whimsy said...

Gina Precious: Keep reading mom's reasons become evident :)

Nely: Awesome review. I loved this one too! :)

Caroline said...

I just started readint this one and I'm really enjoying it so far. Great review!

Myranda said...

Great review! I have heard so many good things about this book I can not wait to get my hands on it!

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

I really, really liked this book! Thanks for the great review!

Kailana said...

I really wanted to read this one, but I all ready have 5 books to read for NetGalley. I will have to make sure and get a copy now, though!

Sara said...

Oh great review! I HAVE to add this one to my wishlist!

Katie said...

This one has been on my shelf forever. I, like you, do not really love angel books. However, I'll have to give this one a shot. Great review!

Anonymous said...

HolyS- I was so not going to read this one...but I think I will after your review..:D

Anonymous said...

The angel invasion we have seen in the publishing industry has been a mixed bag. Luckily, this is one of the good ones.

Eesti said...

It took me a chapter or two to get hooked, but once I was I couldn't put it down! I kept going back and forth between Tucker and Christian as to who I wanted to see Clara with! I can't wait to read the rest of the series. I'll definitely be following this author in the future! Highly recommend! I just wish I hadn't read it as fast as I did!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit