Tuesday

Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts

In 1972, the town of DeClare, Oklahoma, was consumed by a terrifying crime - Gaylene Harjo a teenaged single mother was brutally murdered and her 10 month old son Nicky Jack Harjo had disappeared. Nicky Jack’s pajama bottoms were found on the banks of Willow Creek and nothing was heard of him for nearly 30 years.

Shortly after his father’s death, Mark Albright finds documents revealing he was adopted. He always felt that he never fit in and was somewhat of an outcast, yet he followed in his father’s footsteps and became a successful veterinarian to the stars pets in Beverly Hills.

In search of his roots, Mark traces his biological mother to the town of DeClare where sadly he is informed of her untimely death and his mysterious disappearance. Befriending some of the local townsfolk and some of his long lost relatives, he reopens Gaylene’s murder case, making him the "talk of the town" but also placing him in danger since someone doesn’t want this case to be investigated any further.

Shoot the Moon is full of the authentic heartland characters that Billie Letts writes about so beautifully. This book is a fun, light read with some neat and quirky characters, suspense and even romance. I will admit it wasn’t as predictable as I thought since I was sure I knew "whodunnit" and was thrown for a loop when I found out who really "dunnit". It did have too neat an ending but it was still very enjoyable - if you don't want to think too much.

5 comments:

Beth F said...

I won this on audio last year -- I really should give it a listen. Sounds like a good summer selection.

Darlene said...

I've got this one on the shelf so I'm glad to hear it was an enjoyable read.

Sharon said...

I read this one and enjoyed it! I read 3 of Letts' books and liked them all.

Unknown said...

I've never read any by this author, but this one sounds really good. Thanks for linking the review to my challenge.

Michele said...

Sometimes a book where you don't have to think too much is just what the doctor ordered! This one sounds great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit