Friday

Lulu and the Brontosaurus by Judith Viorst

Title: Lulu and the Brontosaurus
Author: Judith Viorst
Pages: 128
Genre: Children's Picture Book
Source: Purchased

Lulu wants nothing other than a pet brontosaurus for her birthday.  When her parents tell her that she won't be getting one.  She gets very upset.   She throws a fit, screams, yells, pounds the ground - does anything and everything for her parents to relent and get her her pet brontosaurus.  But her parents are having none of it.  They refuse to get her what she wants.  Well Lulu is having none of that.  She feels that if her parents won't bring her a pet brontosaurus then she'll just have to get her own pet brontosaurus.  So she sets off on an adventure into the forest to find herself her new pet, all the way signing:

I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, gonna, get
a bronto-bronto-bronto-bronto-saurus for a pet!

In the forest Lulu comes across a number of animals: a snake, a tiger, a bear but none of them particularly impress her. Until she finally finds him... her brontosaurus.  But she soon realizes that Mr. Brontosaurus has his own plans... he thinks she'll make the perfect pet for him!  What is Lulu to do?

This is the perfect read-aloud for children 4 and up.  With Ms. Viorst's witty storytelling and Lane Smith's charming illustrations you have a pleasant and clever story. I thought Ms. Viorst's attitude shone perfectly throughout Lulu's pages - on more than one occasion saying that since it's her story, it is more than perfect for a Brontosaurus to be living in the forest.  Originally I read this for myself and then I read it to my children and I can't begin to describe the joy and wonder in their little faces as I read this to them.  Not only is it a funny and clever story but it is also a story with a good moral.  It teaches children that you can't always have what you want but especially to listen to your parents.  What I truly loved was that it is told simply and enjoyably enough to where my 4year old understood its message.  I love that!  The best part of the book though - the alternate endings.  I love that we got various endings to choose from - because yes, it's Ms. Viorst's book and she can do that if she wants. :)

This was a very cute story that I recommend for parents to read to their children - or, if you're like me, for adults who enjoy picture books.  A sweet tale, with a great moral and some fabulous illustrations.    

My Rating:

6 comments:

La Coccinelle said...

Sounds cute! :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Ahhhh I love it!

Lola said...

Very cute! :D

Laura Massey said...

This book looks precious! I'm stopping by to pass on the Cherry on Top award to you. Come pick it up!

Book Butterfly (Kim) said...

Oh gosh, that is the cutest cover ever! Great post, I love it!

faith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit