Tuesday

Jane by April Lindner

Title:  Jane
Author:  April Lindner
Pages: 384
Genre: YA

When Jane finds herself dropping out of college due to financial difficulties after her parents' sudden death, she finds herself in need of a job.  She looks to an agency for assistance which places her as a nanny for a little girl whose father just happens to be a famous rockstar on the brink of a comeback tour. Quiet and sensible Jane finds herself attracted the older and famous Nico. Nico finds himself drawn to Jane for her honesty.  She is the first person who tells him how she feels instead of telling him what he wants to hear.  Can mousy Jane be exactly what Nico needs in his life?  Can Nico's secrets be something Jane can see past or will they ultimately tear them apart?

I have to start this review by saying two things:
1- This is a modern remake of the classic Jane Eyre
2- I have never read Jane Eyre (I know, I know!)
So consider this the review of someone who is not one of the devoted fans of the classic.  

With that said, I absolutely loved this book.  Jane was so sensible, conservative, honest, loyal and innocent.  I loved her!  You can't help but love her.  She goes through so much in this book - she deals with the fact that she's all alone after losing her parents and her siblings are too self-absorbed in their greed to take her in, her budding feelings for Nico, the drama, new friendships, heartbreak.  I felt like I almost needed to take her under my wing - I even felt over protective of her.  Nico was exactly what I could have hoped for.  Although at first I was a little hesitant about him, he eventually won me over.  I loved how the romance between Nico and Jane was an undertone to their story.  It was perfectly paced and very sweet.  I enjoyed the time they spent together - their dialogue and push and pull.  

Aside from the romance, I must also make note on the ambiance of the story itself.  Although the story is modern and set in present time, it still had an old world feel to it.  That might have to do with Thornfield Park (Nico's home) - which was described as grandiose, yet dark.  It had a very gothic feel to it.  There's also the danger in the attic: the fires, the maniacal laughter, all the strange happenings after dark, and the mysterious servants... it was all well done.  

Although I really cannot sit here and compare Jane with its inspiration, I feel that  this modern remake will be a hit with the YA crowd.  There's romance and a mystery (albeit somewhat predictable) and Ms. Lindner's writing is superb - it draws you in right from the first page.  All in all, I found a wonderful story in Jane - one that I can highly recommend to everyone (even those who haven't read Jane Eyre).  And if you're like me, it just might inspire you to read the classic as well. 

My Rating:

12 comments:

Savannah said...

I just got this book. Great review. I look forward to reading it.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I am SO glad to see a great review for this! I just saw a bad one for it the other day, and I was so disappointed. Now I'm really looking forward to reading it again :)

Anonymous said...

I'm in the middle of this book right now, so I just skimmed your review. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it! And yes, you should most definitely read Jane Eyre :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sounds superb. I look forward to trying it.

Melissa said...

I loved this book. Great review!

Anonymous said...

excellent review.....I loved Jane as well even in this remake...:D

Michelle said...

I've not read the original either but I have seen a movie and read another remake. This is a fantastic retelling/modernization that can get teens interested in a classic they wouldn't otherwise pick up.

Rebecca Rasmussen said...

This one sounds like fun. I love Jane Eyre and the re-telling sounds great too :)

Small Review said...

I haven't read Jane Eyre yet either, I'm ashamed to say. It's good to know that if I can't get into the original, at least I can still enjoy the story with this remake. I love the cover.

Cindy said...

Oh, this sounds like something I would really enjoy! Great review :)

Vanessa Book ♥ Soulmates said...

Ohhh I cant wait to read this!!

:P

Anonymous said...

ativan for sale ativan with alcohol side effect - generic ativan pics

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit