Tuesday

Unleashed by Nancy Holder & Debbie Viguie

Title: Unleashed (Wolf Springs Chronicles)
Authors: Nancy Holder & Debbie Viguie
Pages: 382
Genre: YA / Paranormal Fiction
Source: Amazon Vie Program
Katelyn McBride’s life changed in an instant when her mother died. Uprooted from her California home, Katelyn was shipped to the middle of nowhere, Arkansas, to her only living relative, her grandfather. And now she has to start over in Wolf Springs, a tiny village in the Ozark Mountains. Like any small town, Wolf Springs has secrets. But the secrets hidden here are more sinister than Katelyn could ever imagine. It’s a town with a history that reaches back centuries, spans continents, and conceals terrifying truths. And Katelyn McBride is about to change everything.

Broken families, ageless grudges, forced alliances, and love that blooms in the darkest night—welcome to Wolf Springs. [via GoodReads]
Although I’m not a big fan of the werewolves (sorry Jacob lovers), I was a little intrigued by the synopsis and pretty cover of Unleashed. Unleashed is the first book in the Wolf Springs Chronicles and I’m happy to report that it was a great start to the series.

When an earthquake unexpectedly kills Katelyn’s mom, she is swept away from her life in San Francisco and shipped off to live with her grandfather in Arkansas. As if dealing with her untimely loss is not hard enough, she now basically also has to start a new life, with an unknown grandfather in an unknown school and town.

When she’s asked to do a local history project, she finds herself drawn to the idea of unraveling some of the town’s mystery and maybe finding a way to fit in.

I really liked Katelyn and the dynamics between her and Ed, her granddad. As sad as it is to bear the loss of a parent, I can’t imagine how hard it would also be to have to start a new life. I think the authors did a great job in capturing their budding relationship. I also enjoyed the friendship she forms with Cordelia – that while she felt she had found a friend she also wasn’t too trustworthy since she kept skimming around Katelyn’s questions about the town, her family, etc.. Then there is Justin… Cordelia’s cousin and hottie love interest. While Katelyn is attracted to him… almost stalkerish over him, she’s also interested in Trick… love triangle anyone?

I actually really enjoyed this book. I loved the mystery of it all. Like Katelyn I was weary and questioning of pretty much everything and everyone in the story. It felt tense and suspenseful and had me at the proverbial edge of my seat. I liked that the story was long enough to truly capture its characters and let you know them well enough to where you actually felt invested in them. My only problem (and this is just a small criticism) was its abrupt ending. I get that it’s a trilogy, but I felt that there would be some type of closure. Instead I was left with bated breath waiting for its next installment. Surprisingly very good.

My Rating:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit