Tuesday

Confessions of a Shopoholic by Sophie Kinsella

I can’t wait for the movie! I was in the mood for something light and funny - just some mind candy. I was reading all these deep, thought-provoking books all last month that I thought I was in need of a break - and I couldn’t have chosen anything better than Confessions of a Shopoholic.

Rebecca Bloomwood is 25, a writer for a magazine called Successful Savings, lives in a fab flat in a ritzy neighborhood, has all the latest clothes and fantastic, loveable rich friends - what more can a girl ask for right? Well, this would all be merry if it weren’t for the fact that she is in debt trying to live a life that she just can’t afford. Her troubles begin when she starts getting harassed by her loan creditors for repayment. Everyday more and more letters arrive requesting repayment and she is just too much of a shopoholic to stop all her frivolous spending.

Mostly the book deals with Rebecca trying to control her spending habits, but really only getting deeper and deeper in the hole. She is bored to death with her job and feels that no one in her industry respects her. She’s a bit naive at times and the way she thought through her difficulties was rather irrational and unrealistic, I thought. But her scenarios and situations where just so fun to read about that none of that bothered me. I was literally sitting there laughing out loud at times. When she thinks she’s going to win the lottery or she has to come up with the excuse of her "fake" aunt’s death - were totally hilarious. And the letters from her creditors with all the excuses of why she can’t make payments (i.e.: a broken leg, her dog died, glandular fever) - were roll on the floor funny.

So, if you’re in the mood for something fun and light - this is a great choice. Total fluff but just what I needed at this point.

3 comments:

Michele said...

I love your term "mind candy" Nely! So spot-on!

Thanks for the reminder that we can all use a bit of mind candy now and then....great review!

Darlene said...

I love the term 'mind candy' too. That's so funny. I love this series just as a getaaway. It's funny and light. I wonder how the movie is going to do.

BellsforStacy said...

OH my gosh I read this book for the exact same reasons! I was reading all this really heavy stuff and wanted something easy, quick and fun!

I love your reviews!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit